Friday, September 30, 2011

The God Who Sees Me

This was a rough summer. It just seemed as though there was a succession of "bad-news" events, ranging from the ultimately insignificant to the major. From a broken leg, troubles with our neighbors, a dog bite, financial issues, and my dad experiencing a life-threatening illness, my strength by the end of the summer was almost gone. It all left me wondering, "Where are you God?"
I'd like to think I'm above these questions. I've been a Christian nearly my entire life, and although my faith isn't always as strong as I wished it were, I know enough to know He's always there, an ever-present help in time of trouble.
But, sometimes you don't feel Him.
And I didn't feel Him a lot this summer.
Until that one afternoon.
My dad was very sick in the ICU of the hospital, and I was just barely hanging on to my emotional stability. We were gathered outside in a parking lot visiting with family when I turned my back to get something out of the van. When I turned back again to see where Graham was, I saw him balancing on the curb of one of the busiest streets in Fargo. One false move, and he would have been right in the way of on-coming traffic. I screamed his name, and he turned and started walking toward me.
And instantly, I knew He was there.
I may not have felt Him.
I may not have known where He was and what He was doing.
But, my God saw me. And He saw my little boy, and He was safe in His hand while my back was turned.
"But if I go to the east, he is not there; if I go to the west, I do not find him.
When he is at work in the north, I do not see him; when he turns to the south, I catch no glimpse of him.
But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold." Job 23:8-10
Thank you, Lord, for being the one who sees me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.