Friday, March 6, 2009

I recently heard a friend discuss how, every year she is able to identify a "theme" or primary Bible verse God gives her specifically for that year. I think He probably does the same for all believers, but we (I) are (am) not tuned-in enough to the things of Him to hear what it is. So, I have been thinking and praying about what my theme/motto would be for this year, and what verse he is giving me to claim for 2009. It hasn't taken long for me to identify a motto that has been echoing in my head for the past two or three months. That motto is, "Give yourself permission to learn!" I am not sure where it comes from, but I have always felt like I needed to know exactly what I am doing at exactly the right time. The last couple of years, it has become painfully evident to me that there are more times that I DON'T know the answers than times that I do. However, I have learned that in the times that we don't have answers, we strive to learn the answers, and we are ultimately the better for it. In every area of my life this year, I want to give myself the permission to not have the answers, to be constantly learning more, and to live by faith and the light He gives me for this day, and not worry about what I won't know tomorrow.
I have prayed about a verse, and there is one that has spoken directly to my heart so many times in the past couple of months. I am not sure it is exactly the one He has given me, but for now, I feel as though this is "THE" verse. It is Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified, do not be discouraged for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
I recently learned that the command most given to us in the Bible is "Do not be afraid." There are SO many reasons for me to be afraid right now. I am afraid of Dave losing his job. I am afraid of what would happen and where we would go if he did. I am afraid (terrified actually) of this new administration and all of the changes that could happen within our country. I am afraid that I will never be "good enough" to do what I most want to do. I am afraid I am not a good enough mom. And on and on and on. But, there is a reason God tells us not to be afraid. What it must do to His heart when he sees the whole picture and then sees our doubt and fear. Oh, to have a faith that didn't have room for fear! He will be with us wherever we go, and there is such POWER in that, we just have to believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.