Sunday, August 2, 2009

Musings of an Overwhelmed Mom

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight. Do you ever have that feeling like your life has been hijacked?
Somewhere over the past six months, I have completely stopped doing the things I love--the things that make me "me"...decorating my house, photographing my children (for fun!), scrapbooking, just being alone and doing nothing. I can't remember the last time I did anything other than survive my life. That is NOT how I want to live my life! But, I also know that I have been given this gift of being to make some extra money for my family through my photography business. I never dreamed a few short months ago, when I was just praying for someone to actually PAY me to do this thing I loved, that I would have over 100 people on a waiting list in a few months. I feel very, very blessed. And, I feel very, very overwhelmed. Is that OK to say? Do God's blessings sometimes come with sacrifice?
I know there is a huge learning curve here--I have never done anything like this before. I need to draw some lines, prioritize, and put my family first. After all, that is why I am doing this in the first place...to help us in our commitment to keep me home with my babies. It is so important to me, and I can't imagine not doing everything humanly possible to make it happen. I want to know my kids inside and out, to know every thing they struggle with, everything they are good at. I want to see them learn and grow.
I am so nervous about homeschooling Isaac next year. Sometimes I feel pressure from the world to just forget it and do the easy thing. It would be so much easier...but it's not what I want in my heart of hearts. I want to be the one to teach him the most important things in life. I want to be the one to watch him learn. I want to shape his thinking, to help him where he struggles and bolster his strengths. I pray God will give me the fortitude to do it.
That stupid idea some woman came up with probably somewhere in the middle of the women's lib movement that women could have it all is such a lie. And for too long, the women of my generation (and those before and after) have been striving for the unattainable. We can't have it all. Or, maybe we can...but "it" may not be the great job, the big house, the nice car, the happy family. Having it all to me is having my babies be happy and healthy, having a strong marriage, having a strong relationship with Christ, having a beautiful and restful home, and being able to provide a little extra money for my family. I may not be completely there yet, but I am trying. I pray my Heavenly Father sweeps me up into his arms and carries me to a green pasture somewhere to rest awhile, because right now...I'm tired.

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you, my friend. It was so nice to talk with you yesterday. We definitely need to set up some sanity dates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just talking to Tash about that this morning. It is so overwhelming to be mom, wife, teacher, cook and disciplinarian, that there is no time to do anything else. What happened to the singer, pianist, photographer and scrapbooker that I used to be? I just keep telling myself that some day the kids will be grown and Tash and I will miss these days of complete and utter chaos. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.