Monday, December 22, 2008

I went out to help my dad with something the other day (and let's be clear here...this is a rare occurrence.) We went to an an area that can only be described in one word...desolate. Everything was snow covered and you could see to what looked like the edge of forever. It was so cold--we have had wind-chills of 50 below zero during the time I have been staying here. When it is that cold, you can almost SEE the cold. Part of the reason for our task had to do with an irresponsible landowner that hadn't taken care of his cattle, and as a result, several had died. I could see the body of one cow from my vantage point. It was clear to me that she had tried to find some respite from the bitter cold, as her final resting place had become a small ditch. As I sat there in the warm pick-up, I looked across this desolate plain and saw the sun. At first, I was stuck by the inconsistent nature of the picture. The sun was there, but you certainly could not feel it's heat. Everything around me seemed dead from the cold, the only signs of life came from my dad and I. And as I took in the scene, I felt a tug at my heart...like there was a lesson to be learned here. And then it hit me. God, like the sun on this day, cannot always be felt. But, he is always there. Pervasive, and as real as a hot summer day, he had never left. The only thing that had changed was my ability to feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.