Wednesday, February 18, 2009

This tooth

Isaac was happily eating his pizza last night when suddenly he erupted into tears. "What is wrong?" I asked him. "My tooth is wiggly!" he said, through sobs. I asked him to come to me and let me have a look. Sure enough, it looks as though he is about to lose his first tooth! It doesn't really matter if it's the first tooth lost, a first bike ride, or a first date. Any time there is a "first," a mama like me is sent into moments of tears and reflection.
I was thinking about that tooth, and remembering when it came in five years ago on Christmas Eve. I remember being so surprised to see it poking out of his little baby gums, and figuring out that it had been the source of those sleepless nights I had been having. It was my first "getting-a-baby-tooth" as a mom. Many teeth, and many crabby teething-baby episodes later, it is ready to fall out. This tooth was the first to come, and now it's the first to go, ushering in a new phase of childhood. Where did my baby go? He's still there, cleverly packaged in the body of a little boy.

1 comment:

  1. not sure how i found you, but i'm wanting to go to walmart tomorrow to see if mine happens to have any of those western bedspreads!! thanks for telling!!

    ReplyDelete

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.